What you'll need:
1 pkg your favorite sausage, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans of red beans
Cooked rice * I ALWAYS use brown rice. When I have it available, I cook it in chicken stock.
Serve with Corn bread or Corn bread dumplings.
Season with Tony Chacheres
here we go...
I buy something different each time.. I like this stuff from HEB - however, I don't love kielbasa sausage in it.. use a local-ish type sausage
Brown the sausage a little bit
while it is browning, chop onions, bell pepper & garlic
Add onions and peppers to sausage and saute *hold back garlic until after onions and peppers are cooked down a bit. *I do this b/c the garlic would burn and taste bitter.
open the cans of beans, DO NOT DRAIN! Dump it all in juicy syrupy stuff and all.
Look in the bottom of the can, you'll see a little bit of bean sediments at the bottom.. fill the can about 1/3 of the way up and add tablespoon of corn starch and dissolve completely *stirring up those little bean bits off the bottom of the can.
Add corn starch mixture (rosey cloudy pink color) to skillet and stir it up
It will look like this (below). Season with Tony's or whatever seasoned salt you like. (*be careful with seasonings if you have an extra spicy sausage). Stir, cover and bring it up to boil for a minute and lower it to a slight simmer for about 15 minutes.
(The function of the corn starch is to change the liquid from watery to more of a gravy consistency.. if yours is still too watery, add some corn starch to a little water, dissolve it and then add it to your pan. never put dry corn starch into your food - it will make gummy clumps. If you have the opposite problem and it is too thick, add chicken stock or water to thin it out. no problem.)
Serve over rice and a side of Jiffy corn bread! YUMMO. I have served this dish to some true cajuns and have gotten two thumbs up. Simple. Easy. Good & CHEAP.
No comments:
Post a Comment