Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homemade Goldfish Crackers

Credit:  Recipe and Photos taken directly from Tasty Kitchen

Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers

There are amazing recipes all over the internets—impressive cakes and cookies, pies galore, delicious pasta dishes, fantastic dinner ideas, and so much more. But what has had me a little stumped were homemade crackers. Homemade crackers? Who in the world has time to make homemade crackers? They looked like they’d be difficult and totally something I wouldn’t be able to pull off. But when these Homemade Goldfish Crackers from Erin popped up here on Tasty Kitchen, I decided to try my hand at them.
Let me tell ya, they were pretty darn easy. And cheesy, too. The recipe was adapted from ReadyMade magazine and it’s totally a fun little cooking project to do with kids. My children are older now, but when they were younger this would have been a great rainy day project to have them join in on. There are only five ingredients with very little prep. The cutting takes a little more time but that’s where the fun for the kids comes in. Use itty bitty cookie cutters, icing tips or make your own cookie cutter shapes out of an aluminum can (see below). The crackers puff up to a chewy, cheesy bite.
Wanna see how?


Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Before getting started, decide on what shapes you’ll be cutting out. Using an aluminum can and tape, I cut a thin strip and formed my fishy, then taped the edges together with clear packing tape.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
I had so much fun I couldn’t stop, and made a Pac-Man and a football. The ideas for shapes you could create are endless! Large icing tips and small cookie cutters work well, too.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients: shredded cheese, butter, flour, salt and cold water. That’s it!



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Begin combining everything, except the water, in a food processor until the dough looks like sand.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Next, pulse in the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until combined.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Remove the dough from the processor and form into a small, tidy package. Wrap in plastic and chill for 20 minutes.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Once chilled, roll out the dough. I found the thinner the dough, the crispier the cracker.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Now, the cutting fun begins!



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Place crackers on a lined cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes. I began with little fishies.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Then moved on to the footballs and then the Pac-Man (or Mrs. Pac-Man).



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Aren’t they cute? They puff up a tad, resulting in a chewy, cheesy cracker.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Look! Pac-Man is after a fish.



Tasty Kitchen Blog Homemade Goldfish Crackers
Have fun with this one y’all! I enjoyed making these and I think you will too. Get creative and let the kids join in!
Thanks Erin for submitting this darling recipe. I felt like a kid again! Be sure to check out Erin’s blog, Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts, for more of her recipes.

Here’s the printable recipe:
Homemade Goldfish Crackers


_______________________________________
Amy Johnson is a blogger who writes about food, travel, the home (both inside and out), and various observations and random musings about anything and everything. Visit her blog She Wears Many Hats for a dose of deliciousness, practicality, hilarity, or just plain fun. She lives in South Carolina with her husband and two children.

No comments:

Post a Comment